Published on 10/04/2023Glenwood Academy - Glenwood, IL
Full TimeFully on-site
Position summary & objectives:
The Cook position exists to prepare and serve food products for the staff, students, and guests of Glenwood Academy. Cooks make appropriate use of food commodities; prepare meals for school’s breakfast, lunch, and dinner program while following federal and state guidelines, observe all relevant sanitation procedures, and keep all areas of the food preparation area clean and ready for inspection.
- Cooking and general meal preparation
- Following prescribed recipes, serving, and storing food products.
- The kitchen and serving areas kept in a clean condition which includes duties such as preparing the serving lines, clean-up after meals, and preparation for inspections.
- Milk is to be kept fully stocked in the cooler in the serving line for each meal.
- Assist in the supervision of student workers
- Assure that all dishes and garbage are removed from the table, and assuring that silverware is brought up separately to avoid losing utensils in the trash.
- Inspect all dishes, trays, cups, bowls, and other utensils to assure that are cleaned, sanitized, and stored after each meal.
- Monitor safety, health conditions of assigned areas.
- Keep all condiments stocked and readily available at all times,
- Demonstrates a dedication to continuous quality improvement in all aspects of the position.
- Attend regular statutory training as well as other role specific training.
- The cook also maintains flexibility to adjust work schedule according to Agency needs.
- Complete all necessary reports, forms and documentations accurately and timely.
- Work at special events if requested.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- At least 21 years of age.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule.
- Minimum education level is a high school diploma or GED
- Current Sanitation Certificate
- No history of child abuse or neglect.
- Three years’ experience in a food service environment.
- A certificate from an accredited technical or vocational school for the completion in culinary arts
- Experience working with children and youth
School Cafeteria/Dining Hall Environment, Moderate Noise. Work shifts often include early mornings, late afternoon.
The job’s functions require the following physical demands: occasional lifting (20 pounds’ maximum), carrying, pushing and/or pulling; some climbing; some stooping, kneeling, crouching and/or crawling; and significant reaching, handling, speaking, writing, hearing, and fine finger dexterity; frequent standing, walking, and sitting, and lifting up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
About Glenwood Academy
Glenwood Academy eradicates poverty, injustice, and inequity through the power of residential education.
Glenwood Academy is a revolutionary private residential school that provides a supportive learning community for students grades 2-8, with a high school option at three local partner schools. Working hand-in-hand with parents and caregivers, the Glenwood experience builds the platform children need to be successful students and become outstanding citizens. We provide life-changing solutions for students who come from challenging solutions, and who have been impacted by poverty, violence, inadequate educational systems, as well as a lack of basic resources, such as food and shelter.
Glenwood Academy nurtures and educates good children from challenging situations by inspiring excellence, building character and strengthening community.
Location500 w 187th st, Glenwood, IL 60425